So much has changed in marketing over the last decade and so much of traditional selling has not.
Sales people are invaluable to your revenue generation targets. The skills they have to possess for their line of work include:
- ability to inquire about client needs
- create solutions around those needs
- build relationships of trust and support
- accept a < 100% success rate
Not everyone can do this type of work. So if you want to best allocate your resources, enable sales people to build and nurture relationships. Let your marketing efforts deliver them quality leads.
Create Inbound Lead Generation Competence:
- find a lead generation software application (I use Hubspot)
- build out your landing pages on your website
- create a content map
- publish your content frequently
- trade your content for a reader’s email address (capture leads)
- refine your content based on marketing metrics
- qualify the leads before sending them to the sales team
- rinse, repeat
The idea that the sales team could focus less on finding leads and more on building relationships means you are maximizing your team’s strong suits. I have never met a sales person who didn’t welcome a lead being hand delivered.
Stay tuned for more content on Lead Generation and how to best support your Sales team.